Project

General

Profile

Bug #1113

users-admin - su not succeeded

Added by Michael Widmann almost 9 years ago. Updated over 5 years ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Category:
Internationalisation
Target version:
-
Start date:
2011-06-14
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
1.00 h
Difficulty:
Bite-size
Tags:
g11n

Description

I do have the following problem here:

Starting users-manager - the GTK window appears and tells me - you don't have enough rights - su couldn't proceed.

this is a fresh install of oi-151 ..

think it's only a small bug - but couldn't find out how to solve it

History

#1

Updated by Michael Widmann almost 9 years ago

btw: forgotten: su / pfexec seems to work normally...

#2

Updated by Chris Jordan almost 9 years ago

  • Assignee set to OI JDS
  • Tags changed from needs-triage to users-admin

Assigning to "OI JDS". Michael Widmann, I believe users-admin puts debug logs in /var/run/setup-tool-backends/debug/users, could you please check and see if there are any useful error messages there?

#3

Updated by Michael Widmann almost 9 years ago

Chris Jordan wrote:

Assigning to "OI JDS". Michael Widmann, I believe users-admin puts debug logs in /var/run/setup-tool-backends/debug/users, could you please check and see if there are any useful error messages there?

Didn't find it on the installed version - actually trying if there is the log you mentioned above.
it is reproduceable with the live Cd - i tried yesterday - it doesn't function in the live cd - but i do not know - if it even works there...

didn't find the log file you mentioned - somewhere else to search for?

#4

Updated by Chris Jordan almost 9 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Feedback
  • Assignee changed from OI JDS to Chris Jordan

Michael, that is odd. I just did a fresh install of 151 (from oi-dev-151-x86-20110608-1.iso) and the log file is in that location. Also I am able to use the users-admin tool without seeing the problem you report. It does prompt me for the root password, which I had reset prior to running the users-admin tool (in order to get the virtualbox additions to install - it appears the root password was set up as expired to force it to be changed?). Once I enter the root password, the tool works without error and I was able to make a change to a user account.

When I use the live dvd I don't get prompted for the root password when I run users-admin, presumably because the user "jack" has the necessary permissions. I am able to edit a users account with users-admin without error.

Since I'm not seeing what you are, could you please give me precise instructions on how you reproduce the error?

#5

Updated by Michael Widmann almost 9 years ago

Chris Jordan wrote:
Hi Chris

I downloaded from the openindiana homepage the build but Í'm not sure if it is oi-dev-151-x86-20110608-1.iso or oi-dev-151-x86-20110608.iso ....
My hardware - IBM / Lenovo Thinkpad T510 - 8gb ram /nvidia graphics card nv3100m

Booted the live dvd - started - and tried to open from shell - users-manager / or from the menu -> I'm using german keyboard and german language.
I changed as you did the root password because it expired... after that, and before i got -> su cannot succeed ....

and I didn't find that file - that's strange... maybe there's a different iso? maybe you can tell me?

thx for investigate...

Mike

Michael, that is odd. I just did a fresh install of 151 (from oi-dev-151-x86-20110608-1.iso) and the log file is in that location. Also I am able to use the users-admin tool without seeing the problem you report. It does prompt me for the root password, which I had reset prior to running the users-admin tool (in order to get the virtualbox additions to install - it appears the root password was set up as expired to force it to be changed?). Once I enter the root password, the tool works without error and I was able to make a change to a user account.

When I use the live dvd I don't get prompted for the root password when I run users-admin, presumably because the user "jack" has the necessary permissions. I am able to edit a users account with users-admin without error.

Since I'm not seeing what you are, could you please give me precise instructions on how you reproduce the error?

#6

Updated by Michael Widmann almost 9 years ago

Michael Widmann wrote:

Chris Jordan wrote:
Hi Chris

I downloaded from the openindiana homepage the build but Í'm not sure if it is oi-dev-151-x86-20110608-1.iso or oi-dev-151-x86-20110608.iso ....
My hardware - IBM / Lenovo Thinkpad T510 - 8gb ram /nvidia graphics card nv3100m

Booted the live dvd - started - and tried to open from shell - users-manager / or from the menu -> I'm using german keyboard and german language.
I changed as you did the root password because it expired... after that, and before i got -> su cannot succeed ....

and I didn't find that file - that's strange... maybe there's a different iso? maybe you can tell me?

thx for investigate...

Mike

Hi chris

I believe users-admin puts debug logs in /var/run/setup-tool-backends/debug/users,

I couldn't find this path at all are you sure that it is this path, or do i have some settings to enable debug output?
could the file be somewhere else? (not found while installing / nor on installed version)

The DVD is the correct one - was an "not sleeping" error" yesterday...

Mike

Michael, that is odd. I just did a fresh install of 151 (from oi-dev-151-x86-20110608-1.iso) and the log file is in that location. Also I am able to use the users-admin tool without seeing the problem you report. It does prompt me for the root password, which I had reset prior to running the users-admin tool (in order to get the virtualbox additions to install - it appears the root password was set up as expired to force it to be changed?). Once I enter the root password, the tool works without error and I was able to make a change to a user account.

When I use the live dvd I don't get prompted for the root password when I run users-admin, presumably because the user "jack" has the necessary permissions. I am able to edit a users account with users-admin without error.

Since I'm not seeing what you are, could you please give me precise instructions on how you reproduce the error?

#7

Updated by Chris Jordan almost 9 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to New
  • Assignee changed from Chris Jordan to OI JDS

Michael, ah, I didn't realize you were configured to use German. I can reproduce the error you report running "users-admin" when I configure the 151 live dvd for the German language, while it works fine for the English language. So, I reproduce it by:

1. Boot oi-dev-151-x86-20110608-1.iso, configure it for the German language (English or German keyboard layout seems not to matter).

2. Bring up a terminal window and run "users-admin" or click on System/Systemverwaltung/Benutzer und Gruppen.

3. The gtk window pops up, but doesn't show any user data, and an error window pops up saying ">>su<< konnte nicht ausgefuhrt werden
Stellen Sie Sicher, dass Sie die Berechtigung haben, diesen Befehl auszufuhren". If running from a terminal window, the terminal window displays the following error several times: "** (users-admin:2714): CRITICAL **: file gst-report-line.c: line 196: assertion `major != GST_MAJOR_INVALID' failed". Also no log file is created in /var/run/setup-tool-backends/debug/users where there man page for users-admin says it should be. Indeed /var/run/setup-tool-backends does not exist.

4. Reboot, try the same thing with the English language, and it works fine.

I'm assigning this to "OI JDS" (although perhaps "OI G11n" might also be appropriate?)

#8

Updated by Michael Widmann almost 9 years ago

Chris Jordan wrote:

Michael, ah, I didn't realize you were configured to use German. I can reproduce the error you report running "users-admin" when I configure the 151 live dvd for the German language, while it works fine for the English language. So, I reproduce it by:

1. Boot oi-dev-151-x86-20110608-1.iso, configure it for the German language (English or German keyboard layout seems not to matter).

2. Bring up a terminal window and run "users-admin" or click on System/Systemverwaltung/Benutzer und Gruppen.

3. The gtk window pops up, but doesn't show any user data, and an error window pops up saying ">>su<< konnte nicht ausgefuhrt werden
Stellen Sie Sicher, dass Sie die Berechtigung haben, diesen Befehl auszufuhren". If running from a terminal window, the terminal window displays the following error several times: "** (users-admin:2714): CRITICAL **: file gst-report-line.c: line 196: assertion `major != GST_MAJOR_INVALID' failed". Also no log file is created in /var/run/setup-tool-backends/debug/users where there man page for users-admin says it should be. Indeed /var/run/setup-tool-backends does not exist.

4. Reboot, try the same thing with the English language, and it works fine.

I'm assigning this to "OI JDS" (although perhaps "OI G11n" might also be appropriate?)

will try to boot with english and check .... but the error is the right one ...

#9

Updated by Albert Lee almost 9 years ago

  • Target version set to oi_151_stable
#10

Updated by Ken Mays over 8 years ago

  • Due date set to 2011-09-14
  • Status changed from New to Closed
  • % Done changed from 0 to 100
  • Estimated time set to 1.00 h

users-admin works properly itself. Some of the issues with locales are causing side effects with GNOME/JDS applications. Please stabilization release of oi_151a and track through G11n development.

#11

Updated by Ken Mays over 8 years ago

  • Status changed from Closed to Feedback
  • Target version deleted (oi_151_stable)
  • % Done changed from 100 to 0
#12

Updated by Ken Mays about 6 years ago

  • Due date deleted (2011-09-14)
  • Category changed from Security to Internationalisation
  • Assignee changed from OI JDS to OI G11n
  • Tags changed from users-admin to g11n
#13

Updated by Ken Mays over 5 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Closed

Main support for OI is the English language. Can't support other
locales at this time.

Also available in: Atom PDF