Project

General

Profile

Bug #11886

Build of database/berkeleydb fails with elfedit error

Added by Gary Mills about 1 year ago. Updated 23 days ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Category:
OI-Userland
Target version:
Start date:
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Difficulty:
Medium
Tags:

Description

This is the first of a series of bugs I encountered while building and publishing OI source on SPARC hardware. The OI source is from 2018. Consequently, there may be a new version of the source, or some of the bugs may have already been fixed. Though the changes have been developed on SPARC hardware, they might correct bugs in some x86 packages. In any case, they should not affect other x86 packages.

Running as an ordinary user, I got the following errors:

Stripping /usr/lib/sparcv9 from RUNPATH in
.../oi-userland/components/database/berkeleydb/build/prototype/sparc/usr/bin/sparcv9/db_archive
elfedit: open failed:
.../oi-userland/components/database/berkeleydb/build/prototype/sparc/mangled/usr/bin/sparcv9/db_archive:
Permission denied
Stripping /usr/lib/sparcv9 from RPATH in
.../oi-userland/components/database/berkeleydb/build/prototype/sparc/usr/bin/sparcv9/db_archive
elfedit: open failed:
.../oi-userland/components/database/berkeleydb/build/prototype/sparc/mangled/usr/bin/sparcv9/db_archive:
Permission denied
...
Lint engine setup...
Starting lint run...
ERROR userland.action001.3        bad RUNPATH, 'usr/bin/sparcv9/db_archive' includes '/usr/lib/sparcv9'

The cause is elfedit being unable to access certain files. The solution is to make those files writable after the files are installed. The patch Makefile.diff fixes this problem.


Files

Makefile.diff (510 Bytes) Makefile.diff Gary Mills, 2019-10-28 08:58 PM
#1

Updated by Michal Nowak about 1 year ago

These bugs should be, somehow, marked as SPARK-related. Either, create a tracking parent bug and assign bugs like this one to it, or Tag them appropriately, or perhaps create a Category.

Alexander Pyhalov Any preference in tracking this?

#2

Updated by Gary Mills about 1 year ago

This one, as it happens, is not SPARC-related. If they are, I would certainly put SPARC in the title.

#3

Updated by Gary Mills 23 days ago

  • Status changed from New to Closed

Since I opened this bug report, db has been upgraded from 5.3.21 to 5.3.28 . The upgrade may have fixed the problem. My testing of the new version under OI x86 reveals that the error is avoided by not adding the defaults to the library search path list, so that userland-mangler does not attempt to edit the path list. This strategy may work for the new version. In any case, there is likely a better fix for the old version on the SPARC platform. Hence, I'm closing this bug report.

Also available in: Atom PDF