port Intel WifiLink 4965/100/1000/2000/5000/6000 driver
Both Linux and FreeBSD seem to have a driver. It'd be userful to have it too.
- Status changed from New to Feedback
I've started looking at porting the iwn driver from FreeBSD, which looks feasible. Separate from that, however, I believe someone will need to sort out firmware licensing with Intel. I'll check with the the developer mailing list for feedback.
An alternative to including firmware in illumos would be to let the distros deal with it - for example, OI could make its own package that contains the binary blob. Of course having the firmware distributed by illumos would be preferred.
Were there any advancements so far?
As far as I know, there has been no progress on this.
- Assignee set to Bayard Bell
I've been hacking a little on this. Checking in with developer@ on porting strategy. Will carry it forward unless someone else has made serious progress.
Hi, Bayard, how is it progressing? I'm very interested in this driver working. Any help with testing needed?
- Subject changed from Intel WiFi Link 1000 driver needed to port Intel WifiLink 4965/100/1000/2000/5000/6000 driver
- Assignee changed from Bayard Bell to Hans Rosenfeld
- Difficulty changed from Medium to Hard
- Status changed from Feedback to Pending RTI
- Status changed from Pending RTI to Closed
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
git commit fd43cf6ea90d0f421f98ca45675340de695681ac
Author: Hans Rosenfeld <firstname.lastname@example.org>
1237 port Intel WifiLink 4965/100/1000/2000/5000/6000 driver
Reviewed by: Robert Mustacchi <email@example.com>
Reviewed by: Josef 'Jeff' Sipek <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Approved by: Dan McDonald <email@example.com>
- Related to Bug #7562: iwn: Leading zeros in /etc/driver_aliases added
- Has duplicate Bug #1756: iwp missing some Centrino 6205 IDs added
- Related to Bug #7596: iwn: Firmware update for 6205 (Taylor Peak) added
Also available in: Atom