Installation of incorrect nVIDIA driver in 2021.04_rc1 (with suggested fix)
Attached is a file which maps the device ID returned by scanpci for the nVIDIA (vendor 0x10de) GPUs to the correct driver for that device. This was built from the HTML files included in each of the packages that nVIDIA provides. This was based on the following drivers:
Some of the cards have multiple device IDs. I used the first one listed on the assumption that would be sufficient to identify the correct driver.
This should make it simple to ensure that the correct nVIDIA driver is installed.
Updated by Reginald Beardsley 17 days ago
I just got an HP Z840 with a Quadro K5000. It had the same issues with 2020.10 as a Z400 with a Quadro FX 1800. Both the 390 and the 340 driver say they support the K5000. Installing an FX 1800 in the Z840 did not resolve the problem with 2020.10.
I was successful uninstalling 390 and installing 340 on the Z400 with 2021.04_rc1, but the same operation did not work on 2020.10 on the Z840.
It would appear that the drivers are sensitive to other HW features. I was unable to find any information about the differences in the drivers.
Updated by Reginald Beardsley 16 days ago
On my 2017.10 system:
169717 1 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 55 Dec 19 2017 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/amd64/libglx.so -> ../../../../../../var/run/opengl/server/amd64/libglx.so
169718 1 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 46 Dec 19 2017 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so -> ../../../../../var/run/opengl/server/libglx.so
3720972611 4 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 54 Mar 30 14:37 /var/run/opengl/server/amd64/libglx.so -> /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/amd64/libglx.so
3720972303 4 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 Mar 30 14:37 /var/run/opengl/server/libglx.so -> /usr/X11/lib/modules/extensions/NVIDIA/libglx.so
The problem I've been chasing for almost 3 days is dangling symlinks.
Updated by Reginald Beardsley 9 days ago
I just finished a full reinstall on a Z840 using the text installer to create a RAIDZ2 pool. On reboot I stopped at single user. I then did:
the system then booted to multi user without any problems.
This is a bite size bug in the text-install script. The system runs fine with either the 340 or 390 driver.