use GCC 7 as default primary compiler
tools - gate/build tools
Once #9978 is integrated, our default compilation settings will be using GCC 7 as a shadow compiler in addition to the officially supported GCC 4.4.4 primary compiler. This should ensure that we don't accumulate new warnings or errors that the GCC 7 compiler would catch.
The next step is to make ourselves comfortable with a switch to GCC 7 as the primary compiler, which we would use to build and ship the OS. This ticket will detail the set of tests and checks we've performed, and then cover the appropriate changes to
Makefile.master and the default
illumos.sh environment file.
- Related to Bug #9312: ctf: be less clever about skipping 'extern' variables declarations added
- Related to Bug #9864: DWARF->CTF enum conversion needs to be careful of sign added
- Related to Feature #9978: env: set gcc 7 as shadow compiler and do not run lint added
- Related to Bug #10468: __ctype_mask[EOF] has been working by accident added
- Related to Bug #10469: GCC's -faggressive-loop-optimizations is too aggressive added
- Related to Bug #10470: array over-read in has_saved_fp() added
I still have this on my radar, FWIW. There are a bunch of CTF fixes incoming, and the test suite there will require at least one CTF fix before it's GCC-7 friendly, so that's the current blocker.
Also available in: Atom